Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I'm starting a Healing Garden...in my front yard!

So...I'm starting a garden...in my front yard.  The idea is to grow fresh, organic produce...mostly veggies to help support me in a new healthier life.  Ideally...everything organic, mostly heirloom, and since it will be in my front yard whenever I get hungry...even fresher than the farmer's market!

Who has a garden in their front yard you ask?  Well, in my case, people who don't have a back yard.  I live in a duplex, i.e. two houses together, so I have the front yard, and the other house has the back yard...so for me, front yard it is.  However, there is also an upstart trend of homeowners digging up their front grass to create "food not lawns".  In San Diego where I live, Food Not Lawns advocates just that - starting a garden and losing the grass.  www.sdfoodnotlawns.com  Some of the motivation is about finding an eco-friendly way to eat and also working to be more food secure in an uncertain world.  It's also about eating local and not  contributing to the massive use of fossil fuels.  Fuels used not only to make fertilizer to grow conventional produce, but also then used to transport it, usually many miles away from where it was grown...all the while getting less and less fresh before it arrives in your neighborhood store.


No comments:

Post a Comment